Sunday, January 3, 2010

     It has been a week since I have arrived in Ukraine. I have not seen the sunshine since I have been here. But I have much joy serving God with ministering to the orphans. Some great things have taken place some small others not too small but I will take any of them:) In a local church I helped begin a bible study/fellowship involving older orphans that are out on their own. We will be meeting each Friday. The pastor of the local church agreed to continue when my time in Ukraine is up.  our first Friday  went very well and I hope more will attend next Friday.

  The orphanages are under quarantine. This means no visitors at all.  Many locals believe it is all political. Ukraine is having their presidential elections this month. I will have to wait for a time until this passes. By chance I have been able to visit some orphans which has been great to reconnect with them. I will be traveling to Kerch, Ukraine on Monday January 4th to visit a group of orphans I have known for several years now. Their orphanage is not under quarantine. I will travel all night by train and then a three hour bus ride. I don't really mind the train since I can sleep.  

  Before leaving I am looking for a new apartment. The apartment I am in now is not available for me to use after the 11th. Trying to find an apartment to rent is not easy.  I am still dealing with my lost luggage.  Customer service or any kind of help has not really reached this part of the world yet.  I hope to have more information tomorrow.  well maybe!  

 New Years Eve was not as good as it could have been.  It was sad to see the older orphans all drunk.  they spend their money and then the rest of the month they don't have a dime and many times any real food.  They are too young and immature to be responsible to live with any sense  direction.  I was so tired and stressed  about the situation I went to bed knowing I couldn't do anything.  i will have a good talk with them :)

more later....